Finding balance in life may not be the easiest thing to maintain at all times, but being realistic and setting certain goals and boundaries for yourself can go a long way. Maintaining a consistent exercise routine and having healthy eating habits isn’t always simple. On top of that, you may also find many things in your life that may make living a balanced lifestyle harder. This could be your work, school, household rules, and more. When you are first starting your fitness journey, you may be good at sticking to your meal plan, drinking a lot of water, working out regularly, getting at least 8 hours of sleep, and making sure that the rest of your life is on track. But when the time comes that you have more projects to work on, you stay up late watching Netflix, you binge fast food or you end up missing your cycling class, you might get discouraged. These things may feel worrying at first and can put you out of your grind entirely, but there are ways to ensure that your social life, work-life, and fitness goals aren’t compromised.
A well-balanced life is essential for living an effective life with a piece of mind. Whether you’re working, going to school, or retired, everyone still has responsibilities. There is always someone or something to answer to, even if it’s yourself. The challenge with having so many things happening in your life is being able to balance what you want to do, what you have to do, and what you choose to do. It’s not always easy and it may feel a bit overwhelming at times. But if you’re trying to live a really good life and want to reduce stress and manage your time and priorities well, then balancing these priorities can help your physical and emotional health.
The Importance of Physical Fitness In Your Life
Physical activity and exercise are important for everyone. Children, teenagers, and adults all need regular physical activity because it promotes good health, which is important in all stages of your life regardless of your physical appearance or your BMI. Understanding the benefits of physical fitness and knowing how active you should be can help you maintain good health and can greatly improve your overall quality of life. Here are some benefits of regular physical activity which you can get at ALTA:
- Reduction of Risk of Physical Injury – Regular exercise and physical activity increase muscle strength, bone density, flexibility, and stability. Physical fitness can also reduce your risk for injuries as you get older. For instance, if you’re a climber then you will have strong muscles which means you are less likely to suffer any bone injuries if you take a tumble.
- Improvement In Your Quality of Life – Living a life where you don’t move much and lack a lot of physical activity can take a toll on your body. Physical inactivity is associated with an increased risk for certain types of illnesses, chronic diseases, and mental health issues. Exercise has been shown to improve mood and mental health issues and provides numerous other benefits. Here at ALTA, we offer different forms of yoga classes. Regular yoga practice creates mental clarity and calmness, increases your body’s awareness, gets rid of chronic stress patterns, relaxes your mind, centers your attention, and sharpens your concentration. Yoga is a practice that once incorporated into your life can greatly improve it.
- Health Improvement – There are so many health advantages to physical fitness. Regular exercises and physical activity promotes strong muscles and bones. It also improves your cardiovascular health. Staying active by joining any of the fitness activities that ALTA offers allows you to maintain a healthy weight, and reduces your risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems.
Benefits of Good Mental Health
Physical fitness helps our bodies to remain strong, but having good mental fitness is also important because it helps us to achieve and sustain a state of good mental health. When we are healthy mentally, we’re able to enjoy our life and the environment that we’re in. We’re able to live life to the fullest by learning, creating, trying new things, and taking risks. Your mental health is important to your well-being because it shows how you operate in your day-to-day life. Having good mental health allows you to live a productive life, however, there may be factors that disrupt your daily activities and hinder you from properly dealing with these circumstances. Your environment is a strong contributor to your mental well-being because living in a bad environment can cause negative effects on your psychological wellness. The smallest things about your environment can influence your mood and emotions, such as weather conditions, pollution, and more. Your lifestyle also greatly impacts your mental health. Smoking, having a poor diet, and too much alcohol and substance use may cause negative effects on your mind. Your mental health is extremely important, which is why there are many reasons why you should aim to maintain and improve it.
- You’re better able to cope with stressful things in life. When your emotional and mental states are strengthened, you’re better able to overcome the challenges in life. Instead of turning to bad coping mechanisms, having good mental strength allows you to find healthier coping mechanisms.
- Good self-image. Your mental health is related to how you feel about yourself. Being confident can be a sign that you have a healthy mental state. If your mental health is flourishing, you’re able to look at your positive qualities instead of the negative ones.
- Healthier relationships. If you’re confident in your own mental health and you feel happy and healthy overall, then you’re more capable of providing your friends and family with quality time, affection, and support. It’s easier to show up and support people you care about when you’re not emotionally distressed.
- Higher quality of life. When your mental health is good, you can see that your quality of life greatly improves. This helps you be more participative in your community and allows you to make new friends and pick up new hobbies.
How ALTA Can Help You Maintain Balance In Your Life
ALTA isn’t just focused on improving your physical health with the different services that they offer. The fitness services that they offer are also geared toward improving your mental, social, and intellectual health. ALTA is always adding new classes to help keep you leveling up in your climbing skills and knowledge both indoors and outdoors. There are so many benefits to both indoor rock climbing and yoga. Some of these benefits are:
- Rock climbing makes your muscles stronger without straining them. A lot of physical exercise may be too overwhelming for a lot of people, however, indoor rock climbing is actually a very low-impact sport. You get the benefits of having a full-body workout at the gym while also making it easier on your body.
- Rock climbing helps with flexibility. There’s a lot of stretching, reaching, and climbing involved in scaling a climbing wall. This helps a lot with your overall flexibility and range of motion which also makes your body look much more toned.
- Rock climbing improves coordination. If you’ve always believed that you’re not the type of person who has proper coordination, then we’d suggest you give rock climbing a try and see yourself improve drastically at it. Indoor rock climbing helps you develop better hand-eye coordination while increasing your spatial awareness.
- Rock climbing can help alleviate symptoms of some mental health problems. Yes, climbing works multiple muscle groups and helps improve your stamina, but studies show how physical activities, such as climbing, can help people who experience symptoms of depression and anxiety. Climbing involves a lot of concentration and thought which helps keep you focused and clears your mind of any outside worries. It also helps in building your confidence and self-esteem which helps reduce symptoms of some mental health problems.
- Yoga practice can boost your mental health. Yoga is one of the services that ALTA offers. It’s a low-impact exercise that lowers stress hormones in our bodies while also producing good brain chemicals which help you feel good and drastically improve your mood and decrease anxiety. Yoga makes your mind so much clearer and calmer and also relieves you of any chronic stress present in your body.
How to Maintain Your Life Balance
We know how our lives greatly benefit from incorporating physical activity into them. However, sometimes it can be difficult. Here are some ways to promote a more balanced lifestyle:
- Plan Ahead – You don’t need to cancel your plans in order to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. Constantly declining invitations to hang out or eat out with the people in your life will soon leave you burnt out and isolated. Instead, plan your get-togethers in advance so that you can schedule your workout earlier in the day.
- Don’t Restrict Yourself – The trick to living a balanced lifestyle is to allow yourself to enjoy the good things in life. Sometimes you might be strict about avoiding certain foods but the more you restrict yourself the more you might end up eating a lot of them later on. Just focus on little improvements to your habits that you can and want to continue doing for a lifetime. Those little adjustments add up! If you restrict yourself from going out or skipping the gym once, you’ll end up feeling isolated and discouraged about going to the gym. Make sure to give yourself some slack, mix it up, and enjoy life!
- Stop Feeling Guilty – Whatever guilt you’re experiencing, be it food guilt, laziness guilt, or post-holiday guilt, you have to get rid of it to enjoy your life to the fullest. Stressing yourself out over the things that have already happened or stressing over things that happen in your life will activate your stress hormones and play a part in weight gain and feeling miserable. Remember that life is meant to be enjoyed, all aspects of it. Try to keep a long-term perspective and enjoy everything good in moderation.
Invite Your Family/Friends To Workout With You – Bring your sister to your yoga or cycling class. Bring your friends climbing with you. Aside from being able to spend quality time with each other, you’re also improving your own fitness life. The ALTA community is here for you!