- CHECK-IN: All Alta participants must check-in at the front desk. First-time participants must complete a waiver of liability.
- SAFETY ORIENTATION: All participants who will not be staff-assisted are required to attend a Safety Orientation prior to participating for the first time. Non-staff participants are responsible for taking the necessary steps to participate in the Safety Orientation.
- AUTHORIZATION: Only participants authorized by Alta Climbing and Fitness to do so may top rope, belay, or lead belay.
- SAFETY CHECKS: All belayers and climbers must use proper belay technique and agree to DOUBLE CHECK their set-up before beginning the climb. The belayer will check the climber’s gear and knots, and the climber will check the belayer’s system and exchange confirmation that the set-up is correct. These steps are important EACH AND EVERY CLIMB!
- CLIMBING OR BOULDERING: You must be 14 years or older to climb or boulder without adult supervision. Children under 14 may climb or boulder with direct and active adult supervision. Alta staff reserve the right to request that children leave the bouldering area during busy times.
- BELAYING AND TYING: Participants must be at least 12 years old to belay or clip themselves in, except for those who are approved members of the Alta Climbing Team or another authorized climbing team, or current members of the ASU Climbing SCS.
- LEAD CLIMB AND LEAD BELAY: Participants must be at least 14 years old to lead climb or lead belay, except for those who are approved members of the Alta Climbing Team or another authorized climbing team, or current members of the USAC Climbing SCS within the “B” category and higher.
- EXERCISE EQUIPMENT: Participants must be at least 16 years old to use the exercise
equipment, except for those who are approved members of the Alta Climbing Team or another authorized climbing team.
- CLIMBING EQUIPMENT: All participants must use commercially manufactured climbing equipment in good condition. Any equipment brought into Alta Climbing and Fitness shall be used at the sole and exclusive rise of the owner of such equipment.
- ADJUSTING HOLDS: Tightening, loosening, or moving holds is not allowed without authorization.
- POTENTIAL HAZARDS: Please report loose holds, bad wear spots on ropes, or anything you perceive to be a safety hazard.
- RESPECT THE SAFETY OF OTHERS: Do not climb below other climbers.
- FOOD/BEVERAGES: No food or drinks are allowed on the mats in the climbing areas.
- SUBSTANCE POLICY: No climbing, bouldering, or belaying of any kind is allowed while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- DANGEROUS BEHAVIOR: Do not run or swing on the ropes. Unruly conduct will be cause for removal from the gym.
- IMPROPER CONDUCT: The use of vulgar language or improper conduct is not permitted.
- BUILDING SAFETY: Please use caution around all pipes and supports at the top of the walls. Do not grab them; they are not designed to hold your weight.
- POLICY CHANGES: Alta Climbing and Fitness reserves the right to alter, add, remove, or make exceptions to any and all posted rules at any time.
If you have any questions, please visit the front desk.